The number of drugs controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act is increasing year-on-year and, as a result, in addition to the more usually encountered drugs such as heroin, cocaine and amphetamine, we are seeing many newer controlled substances.
The availability of New Psychoactive Substances (NPS), which were previously known as “Legal Highs,” has had a considerable impact on the drugs market and led to the introduction of the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. Forensic Access has considerable experience of these New Psychoactive Substances and, prior to the introduction of the 2016 act, worked closely with bodies such as Trading Standards where civil proceedings under Consumer Protection Regulations were seen as an important means of reducing the impact of these then uncontrolled substances.
Our drugs experts have worked across the world, reviewing the work and the Quality Standards of foreign drug laboratories where the penalty for certain drugs offences can include the death penalty.
Forensic Access offers a comprehensive service in relation to drugs casework including:
- Analysis and opinion on the nature and purity of a drug
- Comment on the difference between ‘possession’ and ‘possession with intent to supply’
- The possibility that different batches of drugs originated from the same clandestine laboratory
- Whether or not the drugs present on banknotes (or other items) are indicative of the owner having been involved in the illicit drug trade
- Identification of New Psychoactive Substances
- Valuation of drugs seizures
Are you looking to ensure your deadlines are met?
We offer free initial consultation with advice and support at all stages.