The two-day fundamental awareness course instructs investigators, journalists, researchers, HR & vetting operatives on how to commence an OSINT investigation with some hints and tips along the way.
This course will cover these main topics:
- What is Open Source & Social Media Intelligence (OSINT & SOCMINT)
- OSINT Infrastructure
- Challenges conducting UK OSINT
- Mobile Emulation
- Online Investigation
- Web Browsers
- Search Engines
- Research techniques (manual & automated)
- Online Forums
- Social Networks
- Online False Identities (OFI)
- Email Investigation
- Username Investigation
- Email Data Breach Techniques
- People Searching
- Telephone numbers in investigations
- Company investigation
- Geo Locations and mapping tools
- Document Searching
- EXIF / Meta Data Review
- Reverse Image Searching
- Images Analysis
- Videos, You Tube & Live Streaming
- Domain Name Investigation
- IP Address Investigation
- Wi-Fi Analysis
- Government Databases
- Cryptocurrency – Awareness
- Software Requirements
- Evidential Capture
- Documentation and reporting
This Open-Source & Social Media Intelligence (OSINT & SOCMINT) course will cover these main topics:
- What is Open Source & Social Media Intelligence – Overview of methods, definitions and descriptive on how and when best to use.
- OSINT Infrastructure – What hardware, software, security, and connections does an investigator require. How to protect the researcher.
- Legislation – Key legislation to consider when conducting research.
- Challenges conducting UK OSINT – What challenges an investigator may face.
- Mobile Emulation – Explanation around what options we can you use for mobile emulation.
- Online Investigation – Key considerations from the start, how to design a strategy.
- Web Browsers – Explanation, what are the options and difference benefits.
- Search Engines – Explanation of using multiple search engines for research.
- Research techniques (manual & automated) – Examples of research techniques, Boolean searching and advanced online searching.
- Online Forums - Overview of forum searching.
- Social Networks – Focusses on the current and trending social media applications and how we obtain data. For example, Facebook, Instagram, Tik-Tok etc.
- Online False Identities (OFI) – How to create OFI’s and the management of them.
- Email Investigation – How to conduct email investigations.
- Username Investigation – Search usernames across surface web and links to profiles.
- Email Data Breach Techniques – How to identify email data breaches and how we use this information in an investigation.
- People Searching – Examples of people searching techniques.
- Telephone numbers in investigations – Methods where we can use telephone numbers to gain intelligence.
- Company Investigation – What company information can we achieve from OSINT.
- Geo Locations and Mapping Tools – Wearable’s review & obtaining location-based information and how to present it.
- Document Searching – Methods on how to conduct document searching.
- EXIF / Meta Data Review – How to review EXIF and Meta Data.
- Reverse Image Searching – Reverse searching of images on the internet and tools, add-ons that can assist.
- Images Analysis – Further image analysis techniques and considerations.
- Videos, YouTube & Live Streaming – Video capture techniques, Risks this can pose and explanation.
- Domain Name Investigation – Descriptive of what information we can achieve.
- IP Address Investigation – Geo locate IP address information and its limitations.
- Wi-Fi Analysis – Wi-Fi investigation methods.
- Government Databases – Other data bases that can help, support our research.
- Cryptocurrency – General overview and basic awareness session.
- Software Requirements – Software solutions are looked at more in depth. Risks and evidential Capture.
- Evidential Capture – What products do we need to provide clients (Specific on area).
- Documentation and Reporting – How we best present our research.
As this is a dynamic subject area some topics may be added/removed with current trends.
Legislation and Guidelines
- Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Principles
- Computer Misuse Act
- Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act (CPIA)
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Regulatory of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) & Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA)
Yes. We can offer training in all areas of forensic science and so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
Please email our Forensic Training Manager at email@example.com to book your place.
This course is led by Senior Cell Site Analysis experts at our sister company, IntaForensics. Carl Osborne has designed a course to share his expertise from real-world experience in conducting digital investigations involving Open-Source & Social Media Intelligence (OSINT & SOCMINT).
This is a two-day course.
Who Is The Course For?
Police Forces, Legal Professionals, Journalists, Researchers, HR and Vetting Operatives