DNA profiling & forensic uses of DNA analysis
Forensic Access offers services for the “search and recovery” of DNA and profiling
DNA profiling (“DNA analysis” or “DNA testing”) and the interpretation of DNA profiles, in a forensic context, is used extensively in both the detection and prosecution of crime as well as being used by the defence to help ensure that prosecutions are safe. Forensic Access also offers DNA testing services to private individuals and for industrial enquiries.
With the ever increasing ability of forensic science providers to detect smaller traces of DNA, the need to consider all the circumstances surrounding how the DNA was collected and the profile obtained becomes more significant. In addition and often more crucially, when and how that DNA could have been deposited onto the surface tested, is of paramount importance.
Forensic Access scientists have considerable expertise and casework experience, from both a police and a defence background, in the application of DNA profiling. This DNA analysis expertise is also offered to our private and industrial customers.
Search For & Recovery Of DNA
Our forensic biologists are all highly experienced at searching items for body fluids and other human traces, such as blood, semen, saliva and hairs. Our laboratories are quality-accredited and DNA-secure for “search and recovery” work.
Recovered material is then submitted to for DNA profiling unit (see below). We can offer a wide range of DNA profiling techniques to obtain a DNA profile.
As ever smaller amounts of DNA are now being detected, the interpretation of any DNA profile we produce is extremely important and can only be carried out by the most experienced forensic scientists. Our scientists are all competent and used to interpreting difficult profiles such as mixtures of DNA profiles and low level profiles. The way this evidence is presented in Court is also developing continuously and in early 2013 rulings in the cases of: R v Kuba Dlugosz: 2011/04122/C2, R v Pickering: 2012/03728/B1, R v MDS: 2012/02955/D4 clarified some of these complex issues. (Our scientists have been involved in helping train other members of the Criminal Justice System in the impact of these rulings.)
Our DNA Search & Recovery and Profiling Services
In summary, our experienced forensic scientists can provide you with:
- search and recovery of body fluids and other sources of DNA;
- search and recovery of a wide range of items for body fluids and other sources of DNA;
- routine STR (DNA) profiling (SGM+, Identifiler, Profiler plus);
- specialist DNA profiling techniques including LCN, 3100 enhancement, DNA SenCE; Y STR profiling, mitochondrial DNA profiling;
- interpreting the DNA results in the overall context of a case, including:
- undertaking match probability interpretation
- complex statistical analysis of mixed DNA profiles
- interpretation of DNA profiles where no statistic can be applied.
- reviewing procedures, continuity and integrity of items;
- preparing reports, attending case conferences and presenting our evidence in court.
These services give us the ability to re-test samples or to profile stains not previously considered in a case.
Our forensic biology experts
Click on the names below to read the profiles of our forensic biologists:
Contact Forensic Access
If you want to find out how we can support your major crime work, please contact Forensic Access.